Monday, June 29, 2009

Saxon Mountain road




We started out on CR 130 on the Idaho Springs side. followed that up to the old townsite and mine of Lamartine. then took FR 712.2 all the way to Georgetown. Many pretty overlooks of the Mt Evans range and then of Berthoud Pass, once we get closer to georgetown. this last half of the trail... bone jarring. The book I have listed it as an "easy" road. I guess the atv's have ruined it. loose rocks all over these switch backs. no to mention fallen boulders. some places are one lane only. and with boulders in the way.. just enough room for the Wrangler to squeeze by. had I known it was this bad of shape I would have gone to the top of Saxon Mtn too. I here it has great views and informational signs. Oh, well. may be some time we will hike it or mtn bike it. in my opinion, that's all the trail is good for now. On a positive note. the views were great. the sky was mostly clear and it was a very warm 80 degrees up here! found a few cabin ruins. The jeep did very well with the higher clearence of our new tires. only scraped once.

No comments: