Sunday, October 15, 2006

Reflections in the Mist

ski season....
Araphahoe ski resort opened first this year. Loveland ski resort opened yesterday. Colorado is off and running...well, skiing. Me, I wasn't in line for tickets. I'm not a skier. Granted I do like cross country...some of the down slopes on those trails might as well be down hill runs! I discovered snow shoeing last winter. After the first few ackward steps it't really not bad. I do a lot of hiking Spring through Fall. I was taking the winters off or doing some hiking here in the prairie. But the thrill of reaching the top wasn't the same. So, I thought....Why not. I went all out and just bought a pair- now there is no backing out. no excuses. And it was fun. It's kinda surreal walking out on a waterfall that is raging and dangerous for 3 seasons a year. and now to hear nothing but wind in the pines....well, it's my thing. maybe not for everyone. the trails are not so crowded. and of course the farther you go, the less people you find. solitude. peace. fresh crisp winter air.
I try not to engage in any bone breaking sports. Driving the interstate here in Colorado is aggressive enough. I don't need it for my recreation, too. but driving...well, i'll comment on that another time.

1 comment:

26.2k said...

I heard there was a lot of snow out that way recently. Did you get any? I can't believe it was sunny and 70 for pumpkin carving. I'm jealous.